Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Like a Virgin

3 posters

Go down

Like a Virgin Empty Like a Virgin

Post  ExtraCookie Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:25 am

. . . Hee! Touched for the very first tiiiiime! Thanks a lot, show, for getting that silly old song in my head. Rolling Eyes

Yes, yes, I still intend to argue some more--er, uh, address some more points--in T.V.D., but I'm reviewing this first while it's fresh on my mind. First time I watched it, I was at Mom's. She got a phone call while it was on and talked a long time, so I couldn't hear a lot of it. What I was getting of it didn't seem that good. Upon rewatching, it though, it was quite good. One of the best? Overall, not by a long shot. But it addressed a lot, had some damned good emotional stuff, our main actors all brought their A-game and it had charm. The actual scenes involving the dragons and the damsels in distress (except for the fighting scene with our guys, which was super cool. I loved Dean's rail-kick move! But where did Sammy find that tire iron?) were nothing to write home about, but the rest of it worked for me. It's times like these I especially wish for eloquence & better organizational skills, because there's a lot to address. At least I'm lucky to have at least 2 people in this world who are smart enough to be able to figure out what the hell I'm trying to say in my ramblings. Get tested; yer probably geniuses! Um, genii?

Let's start with Sammy. It was, after all, kinda his episode. Thank you, Puppy, for showing us Sammy's really in there. *Relieved sigh* (What? J3M totally don't read our posts? Pfft. Yeah, right. Of course they do, duh. Wink ) It was soooo good to see him again. So good, in fact, that it's hard to believe I had any fun with soulless Sammy. I know you two will most likely disagree, but I don't care. Insofar as a fictional character can, he feels like a little brother to me (who's also kinda hot. Well, it's complicated. But he's not my real brother, so I can feel what I want. Besides, I'm from Kentucky, so . . . HA HA! See? Beat you to redneck teasing! Razz ). I've always adored him; he's the sweetest, mushiest guy I know and it hurt me when he stopped being himself. He was like a kid at Christmas when he came up those stairs and (oh, my, it took me 3 tries to type "stairs." Sorry for any future typos or other stupidity; I'm super tired and my back's hurting me a lot. pale) and was so pitifully happy to see Dean and Bobby and realize Bobby and Cas were alive. Awww, his sweet lil' face when he said "Cas is alive?!" *Lump in throat* Our poor Sammy, girls; he was totally aware of all the shit that happened at the final showdown. Ouch. Crying or Very sad He was just so sweet and childlike in this, it did my heart good. I love you Jared was so good in the scene where Sammy was choking back tears after he found out he'd been soulless. A+!

Cas! Awwww! angel The bestest little angel who ever existed! (I don't care how much you tease me and laugh. I will speak in baby talk about Cas all I want to. Try 'n stop me! Heh.) 2 little scenes, yet they were great! I love how he was all about Sammy in this one, from actually being furious with Dean (which is huge, of course) for risking his severe suffering to being so obviously, touchingly overjoyed (remember, this is Cas. Really expressive of emotions? NO. So, realize that, for him, this was a falling-all-over-himself-with-thrilled-joy moment!) to see his Sammy alive and whole again. (For him, he was gushing!) He WAS so "frickin' child"-like here! "I was begging Dean not to do it!" Sounds so like something a kid would say! He tried to hug Sammy! AWWWWW! heart beating heart It was funny when he got left hanging, but it'd have been more true to character for Sammy to frickin' hug him, damn it! "Because that would be awkward." Aw. Cas wants to do this human thing right so badly; he must've never had such good friendships back home. To have watched him gradually let down his stoic, angelic guard over time to be this open, sweet angel has been a joy to watch. The show's writers, etc. had better drop to their knees and thank whatever for Misha! Born to play Cas (and do/be many other things) he was!

brothers Brother moments abound! These guys. I know T.V.D. is awesome and overall more entertaining in a lot of ways now, but . . . how to explain? This show owns my heart in a way no other show ever has or perhaps ever will. It's like T.V.D. is my awesome entertainment (that, yes, owns my heart in other ways) and "Supernatural" is my family. I just love it. Period. Even the bad eps. I don't care, these characters resonate on a deep, family level and it's always lovely to see them again, hard to see them being bad to each other and wonderful to see them being good to each other. Dean was so relieved to see Sammy. It was so great to see them--fully, really them--in the Impala & working together again. If I pointed out every single moment I loved, this would be an epic ramble even by my standards! So, just a few (apologies for misquotes): "I love that you even asked that" "And why wouldn't I?!" "You are such a nerd!" Dean's happy, satisfied smile and head-nod when Sammy's puppy-eyes routine worked on that chick, and Sammy apologizing to Dean. Poor kid! sad THAT'S my Sammy. I'm 100% with Dean on this one, not Bobby and Sammy. Soulless Sammy wasn't Sammy. The way they depicted soullessness, it pretty much reduces you to self-involvement, survival. Anyone would've done such shitty things without a soul. There are good and bad elements to everyone, and a soul, apparently, contains almost all the good. That Sammy was a Sammy stripped of his empathy and sympathy. I don't blame him and no one else should, either, so there. tongue

Dean! Oh, my dear Dean! Fun in this ep.! He gave us the emotional stuff (his talk about Lisa & Ben was sad. Typical Dean, blasting the music when he was done talking about it) and cracked me the hell up! That sword in the stone stuff was priceless! The dramatic music, the swagger, the facial expressions, "Son of a bitch, that's really in there!", "You do have insurance for this, right?" God! rofl Loved him. Every second of him. All the instant brother forgiveness and protection, the excitement over virgins (he claims to like experienced women more, but hs sure seems hung up on virgins! I think they just puzzle and shock him!), the cluelessness about W.O.W., all of it. Oh, and his hair looked extra good. Yeah, that was important. Smile

Bobby was top-notch in this one. Jim kicked ass! I got a good laugh out of "Who, Hogwarts?" and "How's 'Memento' doing?" Laughing I so wish Jim could've taken regular status. I don't blame him for not doing so a bit, I just wish it could've worked out. Even so, he does still graces us with his presence a lot, and that means a lot to me, as he obviously misses Maddie like crazy when he's gone. I don't blame him for having mixed emotions about Sammy. Yeah, he let Dean get vamped, but he personally almost killed Bobby. If Dean hadn't showed up in the very nick of time, Bobby'd be Like a Virgin 304412 I know he'll get over it, though. He has to. Yeah, Dean's his fave (wow, Dean's his fave and Cas has a more profound bond with him. Um, could someone come along who likes Sammy as much, please? Ouch) but Sammy's his "kid" too. So, Bobby had a smart, pretty girlfriend whose heart he broke, eh? Layers! I love 'em! And the story behind a guy obviously as super smart as Bobby becoming a mechanic is . . . ? That may be another topic for a future novel.

We got cheated on the dragon. Damned small budget! I wanted to see a fuckin' dragon, not a vague dragon-shaped shadow and a couple of dudes with dragon-like qualities! Lame!

Ummm. . . The new "big bad." Another snarky evil chick? Really? I hate to say it, but so far, not impressed. It could turn out good, though. I'll wait and see.

OW, my tired, burning eyes! I need the BEX! Yes, I need to crawl into my cozy, warm, comfy BEX. It's my BEXTIME. Laughing I know, I'm evil! devil on fire Just be evil back! Really, I want you to! If it's any consolation, here's my confession: The more I like a person, the more I pick on them. When I don't like/know/feel comfy with someone, I'm all polite and stuff. I'm twisted and what-not. In other words, if you don't like me picking on you, you have yourself to blame for making me like you. Twisted Evil So, there ya go. Now you know why I constantly pick on you two! pats ugroup hug Now then, I have a date with Dream Land. Those holy roller freaks had better not invade my house again! Judge MY housekeeping, will they?! They keep it up, I really will shove that smug little girl down those stairs! asleep
ExtraCookie
ExtraCookie
Damon's midnight snack
Damon's midnight snack

Back to top Go down

Like a Virgin Empty Re: Like a Virgin

Post  helps Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Whoa! This was good. I have to say, I didn't care about dragon story at all, but boys were awesome. The details like Sammy convincing girl to let them in w/ his charm and Dean being obviously all happy about it and chuckling, because Sammy was back... I loved that Sammy came back like a new, not remembering anything. I mean, the way he acted, being all sweet and huggy - yea, that's what i needed I love you I agree with Cookie here - I didn't enjoy soulless Sam at all, because he felt so cold comparing to our sweet Puppy. I take him as younger brother,too. It was pure joy to watch old Sammy and Dean being SO happy his lil' brother is back. I especially liked that stolen diary scene where Sammy asked if he stole that diary melt That was sweet. I loved acting on all parts and it was finally one of the bright episodes - -Dean and blade scene Like a Virgin 918938 Like a Virgin 918938 Like a Virgin 918938 That was hilarious, yep Jensen it was so awesome. Loved his face after he destroyed the blade. "Do you have insurence" or something. Hahaha. Glad to hear something about Bobby's past,too. It seems he was an animal, lol.
Both boys were amazing during this episode, I needed this emotional stuff so baaaad. Castiel.... Ohmy. Poor silly angel, he revealed all of that so easily Like a Virgin 918938 Like a Virgin 283147 love u Poor lil' angel still doesn't understand human stuff all that well. I died when he wanted to hug Sammy. Awww. Holding hands in the same position for awhile.... sweetest! heart angel
I'm so sorry for Sam learning about that all this way, but well.... If he waited for Dean to tell him, he might as well wait forever. So I loved it was this way and Sam knows the truth. I can imagine it's hard for him, but yea it wasn't really him. I hope he can forgive himself and move on soon.
As for the plot, I didn't enjoy dragons too much. I agree that it's obvious they had probably lil' budget, so effects were a bit sucky. I liked Bobby talking about that "book", that it was made of human skin which made boys feeling all gross for ever touchin it lol. Their faces were hilarious. BUT the plot itself sucked for me... I don't enjoy the idea of Mother a lot. I mean, let's not be too skeptical about it, but I think it's nothing for me. For now, it looks like Lilith all over again. Let's hope, they'll surprise us.
Overall, very cool episode, loved it. I think one of the bests, maybe the best, episode of this season. I've been suffering since season 4 for not having this sweet Sammy and he's finally back, Dean was smiling and making jokes, yea I love that.
on the cloud

About TVD vs. SPN, although it's both sci-fi, I can't compare those two. Especially because SPN has been around for much longer and Kripke was genius who knew what he wanted. Now he's not there behind the show anymore and it's been worse. Anyways, for overall review I also feel like Supernatural is my family, but I think it's because the show itself payed a lot of attention to family stuff and focused on it. That's why I fell for SPN in the first place. (Obviously hot Jensen and Jared had nothing to do with it, Laughing ). Though, I love TVD lately nearly as much as SPN. Maybe the same. I mean, TVD has a great potential to become my favorite, too. I already feel like Damon&Stefan's story is my own. I'm sorry for them, am happy when they are happy etc etc. Only thing I'm sorry about is lack of focus on brotherly relationship. It seems like TVD is made more for teens, so they focus on love relatinships and triangle and all that stuff. Though, I'm hopefull we'll get more about brothers. There should be some flashback soon and we already got some nice emotional scenes, so let's hope writers won't screw it up. For me yea, shows are different, but I love them both. Only for different reasons, I guess. There are things that are sucky in SPN and same goes for TVD. Nothing is perfect, but it still makes me all happy heart
helps
helps
Admin
Admin

https://mysteryspot.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Calena Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:21 pm

First off I agree about how great it is to have SPN back. I love these characters and I don't care if the show sucks. Seasons 1-4 were brilliant, S5 was good, this season is very mixed, but bring me a couple of additional seasons, I swear I won't whine if it's bad. I just want to see these boys! And not (only) because of the drooling factor! Like a Virgin 918938 Hereby I pledge my undying, unwavering allegiance to SPN. You own me, and no amount of naked, wet Damon can change that! (though throwing in a bit of naked, wet Sam and a bit of naked, wet Dean wouldn't hurt! Like a Virgin 448577 Like a Virgin 918938 Like a Virgin 918938 Like a Virgin 918938 )

Well, I obviously disagree with you two about Soulless Sam. Soulless Sam had his own special kind of appeal, similar to really evil Damon, unlike hurting inside and being evil because of that Damon. But there were some problems about the technicalities of being soulless.
Anyway, I'm happy to have Sammyyyyyy back [but hey, did someone cut Jared's Hair? It was WAY too neat in this ep.] And it was sooooooo sweet how the first thing Sammy did was to hug Dean and Bobby. love u Yeah, acting performances were superb, and Jared being so Sammy-esque again only highlights what a good actor he is, and how every ounce of Sammyness was absent in Soulless Sam, except for the time when he tried to fake it.
So yay for Jared! Like a Virgin 283147

I too, loved it when Soulful Sammy with his soulful eyes persuaded that girl to let them in, and Dean's glee at that, and his shocked reaction about the diary theft.
I was a bit surprised that Sam reacted like Dean not telling him was no big deal at all. It is a bit like S3&4 Sam didn't happen, and like we're back to S1 Sam. And also Dean should know by now lying to his brother is not a good idea, period.
It was very sweet of Cas to come when Sam called, and brilliant of Sam to trick him into telling him.

Most certainly that wall will crack and at the worst possible time. So girls, better enjoy Soulful Sammy while he's there.

Also can we please use "baking cookies for the Lord" as phrase for "being a virgin"? Laughing Laughing Laughing

About the dragon story: Unless you girls I wasn't disappointed about the effects. 1) I don't expect any better from SPN and 2) they can't really prance around full dragon-ed out in this modern day and age anyway, can they? I mean a full size dragon just wouldn't FIT into a modern city, without drawing a lot of attention.
You girls probably didn't catch all these marvellous, hilarious pen&paper role playing references. But both R. and E. used to be avid role players and still play once in while, and I gave it a try myself years ago. It's a lot of fun, but very time consuming. Anyway, I have a very basic but sufficient knowledge of the rules to enjoy all these jokes about it. (12 sided dice! *snicker*)
I'm a bit confused about the Mother and why dragons would want to raise Mother. Mother of what? Mother of all Dragons? Uah. 1) I don't think so and b) there are different kinds of dragons in RPGs, but some of them are SUPEREVIL. So I really don't want evil dragons to attempt to take over the world. Also would be too fantasy-y for SPN. But someone could make a separate show of that idea, with better special effects. Laughing

Also dragons are solitary as a rule, it's strange having dragons work together.

I don't have a problem with an evil chick as Big Bad. Lilith actually wasn't a Big Bad, she was a Big Bad's right hand. Again I ask: Mother of what! For crying out loud! This idea has potential to be very cool, or very sucky. I wanna know which one it is!

The whole sword in stone story was superb. I halfway expected Dean to fetch Sam who could draw it out, due to being a "new" soul or whatever, but this much funnier. Also the dragon asking "where'd you get this" - "ComicCon". Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

About TVD vs. SPN, although it's both sci-fi, I can't compare those two.
Actually-*smart ass mode on* none of them is sci-fi. Sci-fi has space and spacecrafts and is technical. Technically, not even Star Wars is sci-fi, it's a fairy tale set in space. Star Trek, which you might have watched some eps of, is a prime example for real Sci-Fi. Basically in sci-fi, there is no magic. They might be able to do wondrous things (beam me up, Scotty), but there'll always be a technical explanation/reason (whatever harebrained) given for that. No spells, no demons, in a sci-fi story.
SPN is a mix of horror and modern fantasy. Vampires surely fall in their own subgenre of fantasy.
*smart ass mode off*

I will not react to you making fun off me, since today is International Don't Make Fun Of Calena Day! welcome

Calena
in the trunk of the Impala
in the trunk of the Impala

Back to top Go down

Post  helps Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:02 pm

For once, I can agree with you. I don't want SPN to end, no matter how sucky last two seasons were. I mean, it's still them... and those moments of joy and happiness when brothers interact together and have funny lines and smiley faces -->> that's good enough for me to keep watching. Though, I wish they'd drop whole apocalypse ruling the world crap and would rather start brand new story... I mean, come on, they could haunt monsters like in old days, I wouldn't mind... praying scratch

Oh no! You gotta be kidding. "Evil" Damon and soulless Sam is nothing to be compared. You can't compare that. [well, since you're damaged you can but ] The problem is watching Damon was pure joy. I was squealing like fangirl watching Ian deliver those awesome lines and bite and kill people. It was so MUCH fun ur awesome wild ride Like a Virgin 56438 Like a Virgin 283147 Sammy on the other hand - Sammy I used to love disappeared, he betrayed Dean in s4 by choosing demon, instead of him and all that stuff. I don't wanna go there again, he had good intentions, but still.... I hated watching him changing so drastically. He used to be that sweet boy... I still have that firework scene playing over and over again in my head. I couldn't/can't enjoy evil or soulless Sam. I know that you were always on his side, but it was horrible and depressing for me to watch brothers falling apart. very sad I hope you're not right about that wall cracking. I don't want that.... Nope! Please don't do that to me again.
This is Supernatural for me brothers heart and I hope old Sammy is back for good

I give you a point for dragons being humans. Maybe you're right about that. But now... they said they were looking like a huge bats, so perhaps it's not about being "unseen" but really not having a budget for showing us real kick-ass dragon. Though, I forgive them ... Our little show is awesome anyway.
But that Mother really bothers me.... I'm not sure but I understood that Mother is like Mother of all - monsters, demons??

About sci-fi ... I know it's not real sci-fi, but it's labeled like a such in all polls on the net etc. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings by calling those shows sci-fi Very Happy

helps
helps
Admin
Admin

https://mysteryspot.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum